Let’s Just Keep Looking Down - Forever

Written by Man On Crutches on April 1st, 2009

person-16

125 Comments so far ↓

1. mike says:

the comments on this site are hilarious.

2. Jack says:

Do you ever think maybe you are bitching just a little too much over this? You are wearing a cast… not a paraplegic, of course people aren’t going to bend over backwards to “make life more comfortable for you”

3. Esteban says:

Tokyo Metro feels your pain.

Check out the February 2009 manner poster.

4. marc scarpa says:

hey rob,

welcome to nYc..

btw, what the hell are you doing riding the subway anyway?

get a car service dude..

marc

5. Yup says:

Do you ever ASK to use those priority seats?

Or do you just whine like a bitch and post pictures on the internet?

6. Jim says:

Someone doesn’t like you making stupid comments.

7. matt says:

Do you just snap photos? Do you even ask if you can sit down? I can understand being angry and taking a picture if they deny you a seat when there are no others around, but you can’t expect people to simply relinquish their seats immediately - especially if there are others open. I just think that being all passive aggressive and taking pictures isn’t very productive.

Personally, when I ride the trains in Chicago I’ll give up my seat for anyone who looks like they need one.

8. get over yourself…

9. Ted says:

Pregnancy is not a disease or disability so you should not give pregnant people a free pass to sit in the disability seating. If you will make an exception for pregnancy, why not make an exception for my chronic back pain?

10. Simon says:

Dude, I’m all for self expression on the internet, and I disagree with some of the vindictive comments being thrown at you (”…fuckin’ queer…” - bit strong) but really, as a lot of people have said, grow a pair! Just because these people haven’t jumped up as soon as they’ve seen you hobble on the train, there’s no need to get your panties in a twist. You wanna try getting the subway in London - I’ve seen women clearly pregnant ignored, I’ve seen people with one leg (ONE LEG, not a feeble ankle boot) ignored. Do I get up and offer these people my seat if I have one? Yes. Do most people? Yes. But as is the way of the world there are some arse holes out there who will always give niceness and manners and decency the finger. If you wanna sit down that bad, ask. If you don’t ask, you can’t want to sit down that bad, so get over it.
    I understand what you’re trying to do with this site, but I think you could spend your time more productively - physiotherapy on your bad leg for example? Peace.

11. Simon says:

As a follow up - I’ve assumed you’re the one in the photo at the top of your site - if you have something more serious than an ankle boot, the I apologize for making that assumption - but the rest of my comment still stands!

12. you're crippled because you're an asshole says:

The comments are absolutely fitting, this guy is clearly a chump. In half of the pics there’s still ‘priority’ seating available and in some he’s clearly sitting, just across the isle. The other times, rather than ask if he can sit down, he takes a picture and puts it up on the net.

Priority seating isn’t ‘you’re not allowed to sit here unless you’ve got crutches’ seating. It’s ‘please politely give this seat up to someone who needs it if they ask’ seating.

13. kid cool says:

14. fuck says:

Fuck you, fucking cripple. I’ll sit wherever I want

15. pot meet kettle says:

Dude. Come on. Are you serious? You are not documenting society’s faults, just your own extreme self pity. Most of these photos have seats available, people sleeping or people absorbed in their own life as much as you are absorbed in your own pity. Speak up and ask them to move.

16. santos says:

enjoy your 15 minutes of fame. real new yorkers ask politely. we also like to be in our own zone when we’re packed in the subway, so we might not notice you on crutches. sorry that the entire world can’t pay attention to you 24/7. i’m sure auto prices are low in your hometown, maybe you should do some research and move back there.

17. JohnDoe says:

I love the comments on this site. Please, continue flaming this guy so he can take more pictures for you to flame.

18. pb says:

best website ever.
    and for the commenters who are criticizing, eat a d*ck.
    look at the f*ckin URL, this website is obviously tongue-in-cheek-humor.
    F*ckin idiots, check out this website while you’re at it:

19. E says:

I was on crutches for a month in NYC. Here is what these people do. Look at you, look at your crutches, then look down and hunch over, making it VERY clear with their body language that you should NOT talk to them because they don’t want to give up their seats. This is not just occasionally, its 90% of the time.

I didn’t mind so much when people clearly hadn’t noticed me. But most of the time, they did and chose not to give up their seats. Disgusting.

20. s says:

Have any of you ever actually been on crutches? It’s horrible, and most people in this city ignore you. So get over yourselves, and be polite. I am on them, and I’ve had people snagging cabs from me, and shutting doors on me, even watching me fall out a doorway. It boggles my mind that people work so hard to ignore us.

21. Yep, I use a walking stick, and people are great at just looking down at the floor instead of offering to stand.

I know there are invisible disabilities, mine were invisible until the last year and a bit, but not *everyone* who avoids my gaze has them.

22. Lindsey says:

I stumbled upon this blog. I also have a disability that has me in a clumsy state. Muscular dystrophy + Periphreal Neuropathy + Attaxia = a somewhat servere handicap. I totally know what you’re going through. Also, I get pissed whenever people park in handicap spots and there is nothing wrong with them. Was wondering if you’ve considered snapping pics of their stickers. Contact me and let me know fuzedstar on yahoo.

23. lilmammal says:

Wow. Why are people’s comments so hostile? The real jerks are the people who will look you in the eye and still have complete disregard for your condition. We live in a world of self-absorbed assholes. I freakin love this blog. These jerks deserve to have a little public shame. :)

24. ouchie says:

I hate it when people don’t pay attention to me. I mean, the crutches scream “Look at me!” and then people don’t. wtf?

25. b says:

This blog comes off as whiny and self-important. The poster gives no frame of reference to the situations at all, there’s never any mention of a discourse between him and them, and there’s never any pictures showing him on his crutches. Not saying that a disabled person has to “look it” or much less prove it, but these people have been put up here on the internet for all to see by someone who won’t even stand behind their convictions with so much as a photo. It’s pretty pathetic that we live in a society where people are ignorant of others’ disabilities (or in this case, discomfort) and sadder still that it begets ridiculous exercises in self-pity such as this blog, and the nauseating comments that follow. I’d love to finally see a response from the poster - do you ever ask for a seat? do you just stand there stewing in your anger fishing for your camera while risking your balance (and another injury)? or do you just stroll onto the subway with two working legs, playing the hero for all people with disabilities? Just curious as without context this blog doesn’t make much sense.

26. chill out says:

i don’t understand why people can’t just laugh at this site. everyone needs to stop being so uptight and relaaaaax.

27. alex says:

even though i know this website is supposed to be funny, when you put someone’s picture up on blast then you deserve to be called out.

Technically, the people sitting in the regular section should offer up their seat as well. You know to be polite?

http://www.peoplewhogetpunchedfortakingpicturesofstrangers withaniphoneonthesubway.com

28. greg says:

this is really the height of passive aggressive rubbish.

its not the job of other passengers to keep a weather eye out for quasi disabled self important cry babies.

and its not these people’s fault you’re too shy/awkward/passive to ask them politely if you could sit down.

punishing them [exposing them to public ridicule/scrutiny with smart ass comments attached] because you’re kind of a pansy isn’t fair.

for science - try asking. just to see.

29. UpYurz says:

Gawd, we had a renter like the guy who’s doing this site…a “handicapped” woman who was just the most absolutely passive-aggressive bitch I’ve ever known!

First, you’d do stuff for her because you feel sorry for her. But it was never enough. Every time you did anything for her, she only wanted more, or would whine that it wasn’t done like she really wanted.

Bitch was a black hole of human emotional need and would suck the life-force out of anyone within reach!!!

Bottom line was she acted as if YOU and the rest of the world were responsible for her “handicap” and thus were her personal servants. Only people who did things for her constantly would be called her “friends”…and she would always try to make you feel guilty for NOT doing everything for her by starting all her statements with “All my friends say…” and then tell you what you’re NOT doing right.

Of course, if you didn’t do something she wanted, she’d say crap like “You must not care about me.” Well, no, bitch, as a matter of fact I don’t! I ain’t your husband, I ain’t your brother, I ain’t your fuckin’ daddy…get over it and get “support” from your weenie-ass “friends”.

Bottom line? The rest of the world is NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR HANDICAP!!!!!

30. Jaicy says:

Hi ! i am from Quebec! ( French Canadians ) I just found out your website because one of my classmates just show us your website in a oral class. Must admit it was not for a good reason. The reason why he show you website was for showing us how people Think because he have a broken legs he become a disability. Then he was showing us the only comments you wrote and how silly is was. In the name of a french canadians i say : sacrement ton site cest dlostie marde mon chum. cest tellement dla bouette que on a rie pendant au moins vingt bonne minutes. enweye lorto te capable :D

31. Belle says:

Go on with these pictures, it’s absolutely the right thing what you are doing.
    People who flame elderly or pregnant people should really be ashamed. Yes, age and pregnancy are NOT disabilities, but just wait until you are in this condition.
    I just wished those people on priority seating could be punished with a disease that give them the “right” to sit there. Ha ha!

32. Ged says:

All people are idiots until proven otherwise.

This includes people parking/sitting in disabled zones as well as people starting a website just to complain.

33. Bill says:

Perhaps they have reading disabilities … did you ever think of that? Hmmmmm?

34. Emy says:

I love this! I always feel bad for people with crutches on the buses on campus; our campus is enormous, and it’s a pain in the ass enough to walk around without crutches. I’ve definitely seen it happen, though, and I’ve given up my regular seat on a few occasions just to have those in the handicapped seating stare at me slack-jawed.

Also, you shouldn’t need to be -asked- to stand up. Unless you’re blind, in which case the handicapped seat is probably acceptable.

Keep it up. I’m pretty sure all the asshole comments are people who just realized that oh fuck they do this all the time.

35. A NYer says:

Yes, the self pity is obvious here. I’ve also written about this before, you can’t judge a book by its cover, many people have issues with standing on trains for various reasons (myself included).

But I must tell you about my NYC subway story..On a packed F train, I saw a pregnant woman come in, I made eye contact with her and got up for her to sit. In the time it took her to get to the seat a man sneaked in behind me and sat down. There was a lot of screaming and yelling on my part and a lot of him staring ahead pretending I didn’t even exist…needless to say, the man never got up.

36. Lauren says:

You have put into words and pictures exactly what I have been thinking for years. I’m pretty sure we have to be best friends.

I’m sure you didn’t mean for this to be a douchebag support site, but I’m glad they feel they’ve found a safe place to congregate, as many of them apparently suffer from debilitating levels of douchebaggery.

Man on Crutches: From those of us who really get it, thank you.

37. newyorker says:

Let’s admit it. NYers are back to being rude.
    AND we have the nerve to complaint about someone making fun of our rudeness. Get over it people! When we are tired we don’t want to give up our seat not even to our mother, but we should.
    Good job dude. I’ve always wanted to start a blog with transcripts of actual cell phone conversations of people riding public transportation.

38. Barnett says:

I love the blog. The only blog I have ever liked. Keep posting my man. Keep posting. I can hardly wait to actually read through the comments–just scanned them now–in which people tell you to grow pair or some such stupid insult. Common courtesy, people. Common fucking courtesy. And, boy, is it lacking. People who do not get up for pregnant women, anybody with any obvious disability, old people, and any combination thereof are going to rot in hell. And that hell is going to be an endless journey on a jammed packed NYC subway car without a seat to be had. That is the special hell reserved for them. For the rest of us, it’s all fire and brimstone.

39. kirsten says:

I applaud you for drawing attention to this issue (although I do feel a little badly for the people who you have made poster children for this issue- only because there is no way for you as an observer to know their particular situation- seat hogs excepted). Not ceding seats to those who need them has been a huge pet peeve of mine about people in NY for a long time; I see it all the time. And I don’t think people should have to ask someone for the seat (partly because it may put someone in the very awkward position of having to justify their need for the seat, which is a privacy issue) but if you sit in that disabled/elderly seat (really ANY seat, in my opinion) and you don’t have a LEGITIMATE medical reason, then you should offer to give your seat up to elderly, handicapped, pregnant women, or mothers with infants.

I will also say that on the flip side I DO think it can be quite rude and presumptive to ask someone specifically to give up their seat. I would rather to ask generally, “can anyone give up their seat?”, if necessary. My fiance is a 6′3″, strong built man who looks very healthy on the outside. However he has a VERY serious heart condition that leaves him out of breath and weak after walking even a short distance. It also causes him to overheat. He basically can’t get around in the city without a taxi, but sometimes we have to subway it. He has a disability placard for parking and has so many related health problems that he actually was approved for SSD on his first try. Yet, all the time people look at him suspiciously and accusingly as if he is taking advantage, becuase they don’t see a cane or any other obvious indicator that he has health problems. I don’t think he should have to be put in a position to explain his personal health to strangers on the subway. There are also plenty of people in similar situations who may have HIV or cancer, or another disease that leaves them very weak and possibly nauseous from medications, etc. Even for myself, at 3 months pregnant, not that I was carrying so much weight, but I was incredibly sick, there was no way I looked anything but tired to everyone else, but I guarantee you I needed a seat or else I might well have thrown up.

It’s great that with a temporary injury you have a new perspective on what its like to ride public transportation without full physical ability, but I hope you never have to experience a lifelong disability or chronic illness (which would also open your eyes in new ways to how many other people experience public transit).

40. John says:

OK, so I also had a walking cast and crutches and commuted to my job in Midtown from Brooklyn for 8 weeks until my broken leg healed.

And frankly, I agree with the majority of posters here (as well as the NY Times City Room readers) that your self-pitying, self-righteous blog is beyond ridiculous. Are you actually making ANY effort to claim a seat or solicit attention from other riders? I had absolutely NO problem getting a seat during rush hours for the 8 weeks I was handicapped and commuting via subway. I was able to get a seat nearly every time I boarded a train. SOMEONE will stand up for you. It may not be in the “priority-seating” area and you may have to gesture to your leg or say “excuse me” … but, please, I assure that you that you can get a seat.

I also fail to see the purpose of the pictures you have taken documenting passengers sitting next to EMPTY seats in the priority seating area. What is the problem here? Just sit down next to them. So you think their stance is too wide? Get over it and sit down in the empty seat, they’ll make more room for you. Or the picture that shows a reflection of you SITTING DOWN while documenting other passengers in the “priority-seating” area — I don’t understand the problem — you’re already sitting down, why would anyone move for you?

Grow up, and you’ll get a seat. End of story.

41. I wish i was not human says:

Its not about who’s fault it is or who’s responsibility it is that others are handicapped, pregnant, elderly or otherwise in need of assistance.

Its about common decency. No one is talking about serving someone hand in foot or bowing down and licking toes here. It is a courteous and well bred thing to do, to offer someone a seat that needs it more than you.

To hold a door for someone.

To hold an elevator for someone.

To move your car to the side so you don’t splash muddy water on someone.

On and on. If you think these types of actions are not important, than perhaps you need to question what good you bring to our society.

42. Jason says:

A few weeks ago I beat up a guy in a muscle shirt for parking in a handicap space. He had the temerity to get defensive after I innocently asked, “Hey, fuckface, what sort of cripple are you?”

Turns out he’s self-defense challenged. It was a fair fight, though: I too have a disability. I can’t seem to regulate self-righteous anger.

Maybe by now one of us in in therapy.

43. amand says:

don’t be such a baby…
    u can grab a pole cant u?
    u can manage…
    maybe if u were missing a leg i’d understand.
    why not wait for a car with less people u princess.

44. Doc says:

People just don’t like the implication that they’re douchebags. The causticity of their reaction only indicates how much it applies to them. That’s all.

45. Jacque Strapp says:

Add me to the ‘maybe you should ask for their seat’ group. I’ve been on crutches once, and personally, if I was only going a couple stops on the subway I don’t even know if I’d want to sit down. Getting off of and onto the crutches and into and out of a chair was a hassle. I certainly would give up my seat if asked by someone who was on crutches, but I wouldn’t just assume that they want to sit.

46. Ann Taylor says:

I don’t know why people want to live in NYC. One good thing about the downturn in our economy - New York City is so over! Empty streets and plenty of cabs.

47. Gregorio says:

Matt:

What you are doing on your blog is incredibly inappropriate and hopefully will get you sued very soon by someone you’ve digitally harassed.

I understand that you are too old to get it and too young to realize that you should get it and don’t….. but people who injure THEMSELVES or live terribly and wind up incapacitating THEMSELVES (morbid obesity and wheezing at age 45 is not a disability) are not the same as people who are old, pregnant, or permanently disabled.

You do not deserve to inconvenience anyone else (ever think that some of those people are coming off of their third shift and headed home to neglected families) because you don’t wear appropriate footwear and stress fracture your foot (or stepped on a stone while playing ultimate frisbee at McCarren Park).

This same sense of entitlement is what fed into that good old days mentality where colored people sat at the back of the bus or shined shoes when you got off of it, so don’t go pinning for the days of yore just yet.

One more thing, if you seriously consider yourself disabled then you should get a car service, however if you are some ersatz bobo (which I strongly suspect you are) then you should call access-a-ride. Or better yet get back to the hinterlands of this country with your under-achieving, lower-middle-class, white entitlement syndrome.

48. Here’s the “Is there a need for your product or service?” part of my business plan. It is for use by males. It is a bladder that one might squeeze between their arm and the side of their chest (like an Irish bagpipe thingy). Fill the bladder with lemonade. When one or more sh*ts pretend you do not exist, start squirming and, in a pleading voice say, “Oh, please, please, I need to sit down or I will pee!” Practice this at home before you travel. You need to have my invention in a closet hoping that you will never have to
    use it. Repeat this a few times. Get worked up. Jump the voice up an octave. And then, as those who sit before you still do not evidence that you live, sqeeze, squeeze the bladder (thinking of D. Parker) and let the lemonade squirt, copiously,in the direction of the seat you wish to occupy. No trousers open here mind. Just a simple hose that will spray at about waist high. The seat will be vacated immediately. I mean immediately. Quickly wipe any lemonade off the seat and enjoy the ride. Keep talking, to yourself of course, and squeal something about how happy you are that you are not needing to pee anymore. And that you are so
    ashamed. We will provide recommended strategies and, wait there’s more -some green prayer cloths (to wipe off the excess lemonade)that were left over from our recent pray for redemption program on early AM TV.

Good manners are sometimes not evident; there is an ebb and flow…..

49. Susan says:

I hear you… 8 months pregnant and so used to people avoiding eye contact. I don’t get it.

50. SmallFormat says:

My first reaction to your site was “That’s awesome. Out those fuckers!” But then I remembered that for years after a car accident (and still on fair occasion), despite looking like a healthy mid-20’s subway-goer, I was in pretty severe pain from a torn knee ligament and half a dozen bulging discs in my back.

In the waiting room of the physical therapy office I’d frequented for some six months after the accident, very few of those sitting down had visible signs of injury, but all were nonetheless in pain and would have rightful claim to the disability seating.

Though the people you have shown here look as though they have no injuries or disabilities, your standard of proof is poor and chance of error extremely high. There’s a good chance that, given this site’s recent surge in popularity, you could be causing injury to the reputation of those pictured here if it turns out that they have rightful claim to disability seating. I would advise that you take down this site before those pictured are identified and take exception to your publishing their pictures without their permission.