Disability Seats Are Soooo Cozy

Written by Man On Crutches on March 4th, 2009

person-4

14 Comments so far ↓

1. Poonam says:

Hey, you know what I ahd teh same idea as you to click pictures of people who sit on seats reserved for women, elderly and disabled in Delhi Metro (INdia). But I gave up after it got too many. And I was clicking pictures of people who wouldn’t budge after I ask. CLicking their pics wasnt always easy either.

But now seeing the hate mail you are getting, I am wondering about the sanity of idea. Nevertheless, I am glad you did it. What is not clear to me is that:
    1. Which country is this? I thuoght it was so only in India?
    2. Do you ask them to move because idea of rserving them is to enable you to be able to ask for it with authority?

2. deb with ms says:

DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!!

while alot of the pictures posted are MOST LIKELY non handicapped persons, lets not forget those of us with INVISIBLE DISABILITIES.
    i have ms. i look fine. i dont use any assitance devices. but there are times where i have such overwhelming fatigue i can barely think. there are also times my muscles are so weak i can barely walk. BUT TO SEE ME SITTING SOMEWHERE I WOULD LOOK NORMAL.

DONT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER AND ASSUME EVERYONE IS AN ASSHOLE.

i personally would give up a seat to someone who obviously needs it more than me.
    but then again…. i dont use public transportation.

why dont you just ask someone to move??

3. Mr. Subway says:

The guy is sleeping… how are you expecting him to get up and give you a seat? I don’t get it.

4. JJ says:

You know when people have their eyes closed it is not always a cleverly plotted conspiracy to deny you a place to sit, idiot. i ride with my eyes closed all the time and if somebody thinks i am going to notice them just because they are staring at me and sending evil vibes.

for gods sake just fucking ask if you can sit there, wuss.

5. MikeF says:

What a fucktard!!1

6. WTF says:

Cry me a river dude. First off, this looks like either the 2/3 or the 4/5 trains, and this is *not* where the priority seating is on those trains. And this guy doesn’t even have his eyes open. I nod off on the subway all the time. Am I supposed to automatically wake up for your royal crippledness? Please.

7. dave says:

No, you just don’t sit there to begin with. Why is this so complicated? It’s called having integrity. The seat is marked so that you will not sit there, so unless the train is ridiculously crowded just sit somewhere else. I’ve been on crutches for 8 weeks now, and it astounds me how little respect people have for it. I’m not asking for much, just don’t sit where you aren’t supposed to. Maybe one day you will be in my position, and you’ll see how hard it can be to get around and how something like having a reserved seat or parking space can make leaving home a more manageable thing.
    I applaud the author of this blog. You douchebags who are giving him flak should wake up and realize that there are other people in the world besides you. Just because you can justify your actions to yourself doesn’t make you right, and the fact that you would take the time to disrespect people with disabilities just prooves your lack of care for others.

8. stan says:

Wow Dave, so the above woman with MS is a douchebag? It’s called Priority Seating, asshat, not “don’t f@#king ever sit here unless you have rickets seating”. Be polite and ask someone to move so you can sit down – don’t be passive aggressive, stare at them, and then blog about your indignation. TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN WELL BEING!!!!

9. Mister Derp says:

Lol, I take it Stan has rickets…

10. es says:

i have had crutches for months at a time. i never asked anyone to get up for me, nor did i expect them too. Why would I need someone to get up? I HAVE CRUTCHES, not pain.
    people with disabilities get more privileges than they need.
    stop your crying already.
    oh, and for those of you in wheel chairs? YOU’RE SITTING for gods-sake! you don’t need ANYTHING.

11. Drew says:

The man is sleeping…WHAT? is supposed to use his telepathic powers and wake to find you there?

12. Kismet says:

That’s my favorite spot.

13. Hi says:

@Dave:

No, you are missing the point. Most priority seating says something to the effect of “you can sit here, but you have to give up your seat if asked.” Are you seriously berating people for sitting down in seats where they are allowed to sit down? I repeat, people are allowed to sit there! Don’t make up laws/rules that don’t exist.

14. steve says:

“dave says:
    April 2, 2009 at 9:34 am

No, you just don’t sit there to begin with. Why is this so complicated? It’s called having integrity. The seat is marked so that you will not sit there, so unless the train is ridiculously crowded just sit somewhere else. ”

Wrong, Dave. It’s PRIORITY seating not EXCLUSIVE seating. I’m a gentleman and I’ll give up my seat to a woman, elderly person or disabled person BUT I HAVE TO KNOW THEY ARE THERE FIRST. My problem with this entire website is that the idiot writing it seems oblivious to the idea of JUST ASKING someone to move.